Sunday, June 04, 2006

A matter of expression

Every living being on the earth has some means or the other to express itself. As humans we have various ways of expressing ourselves. Being a human myself, let me focus on humans.

A person can share his feelings with others through various modes. For example, speaking, making physical gestures, making eye contact, writing, playing and/or composing music, dancing, the list is endless. Heck, one may communicate his feelings by just being with someone doing nothing at all.

But then, why is it that not everyone can effectively express themselves in all these ways? Some people dance well, some people draw and paint well, some are excellent at music, others at speaking or writing. Is it something that is intrinsic or is it something that the person acquires because of his environment? That is to say, are things like the way he was brought up, the friends he has and everyone he meets and interacts with, where he lived, incidents that happened in his life,etc completely responsible for his being good at a particular mode of expression? Honestly speaking, I am not sure as to what it is.

Yet, I think we're all born as equals and that the deciding factor is the surroundings. Some people criticize this point of view by saying that it can never be verified; because one cannot provide the same environment to two people at the same time. I'd still go with this school of thought because I don't really like the idea of our lives being determined completely by some sort of arrangement of chemicals. I wouldn't like to believe that we're destined at birth to be good at some things and not good at other activities. The destiny theory just gets to me. Big time. There just has to be something else to it.

I recently wrote a post in my blog because I just felt like writing something. One of my close friends read it and told me writing is just not my way of expression. She told me I was impenetrable through the post and that it was extremely formal. Bluntly speaking, it meant that I hadn't written well. I wonder if I'll ever be able to write "well". But again, I wrote it. And I am one who is of the opinion that any activity that a person does can be traced back to the person's state of mind given that one knows certain basic principles of psychology, which I believe apply to almost everyone on this planet. It is something that set me thinking about all this.

Can one can reach any level of ability at a chosen activity by sheer hard-work and determination? Or does one need to "have it in him" to be good at it? I'd choose to think that one can possibly attain a good degree of ability at a given activity, provided one devotes enough time and energy to it. I may be wrong but what's the harm in giving it a go? Here, people tell me that I'll probably end up being mediocre at it and that there is no point in putting in so much effort. But in my opinion, this point of view may lead to disastrous consequences. One may not pursue an activity that one likes simply because of the apprehension that shrouds him as to whether he'll be good at it or not. And there are the matters of interest and want as well.

Heck, if one likes to do something I believe there is absolutely no harm in going ahead with it, even if he's not great at it. Does everyone who writes have to be a Maugham or a Shakespeare or something! Does everyone who plays football have to be a Pele or a Maradona! I believe one should strive to get better at what he likes to do or what he does because it is the only way ahead as I see it. If one is happy doing something, however bad he may be at it, he should go ahead with it keeping in mind that there is always time for improvement. As George Bernard Shaw would like to put it, A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing. I sincerely believe in the fact that no one is born a genius.

I don't know if I've conveyed the exact idea that bugs me but I think I've given a decent idea of what it is.

10 comments:

Kini said...

I know I ought to say something much more insightful after this post, considering I'm the "writer" and all. :p But all that's really going through my brain right now, after seeing the blog address, is a chorus of one of my favourite shows...

Pinky, pinky, pinky and the brain brain, brain, brain, brain, brain, brain, brain, brain, brain, brain, brain, BRAIN!

Who's pinky, you ask? Figure it out! :D

Cheeky said...

@Kini

Pinky - must be the new flit you've found for yourself in IITB :P

Gaju Krishna said...

Abt what you've written on your blog, I had this to say. I believe it's a mix of nature and nurture that determines who we are and who we end up as. As far as the concept of destiny goes, you would never know what it is until you reach it.(Let's talk abt clairvoyancy later :))So it's effectively what you make of it. You may think of it in either of these ways:a)You get to know what you're good at, what gives you joy and all that stuff and you adopt that line of action believing you've found yor destiny.b)You could say 'fuck destiny' and go ahead and pursue your interests. You see that these converge.

Cheeky said...

@Gajanana

Hmmm true. What you said is the focal point of the whole post. But I don't know if the two paths will converge. And I can never find that out because I can't follow both of them. So "fuck destiny" it is for me! :)

Anonymous said...

Hey

I know exactly where that post came from. Very coherent. Looks like all our nights of arguments lead you somewhere! And do write

Cheeky said...

@Anu

Any extra commas or missing ones? :P

Anonymous said...

Hey..

Lovely post I must say.. If u remember I once sent u an article voicing the same thought.. anyway that's besides the point.. the point is its very honest :)

N i very much agree with what u said.. Just because u r not brilliant at sth.. or rather just bcoz ppl say you r not brillaint at sth.. doesnt mean you shouldnt go ahead n do it..We tend to label judgemental adjectives to everything.. Expressions are not meant to be judged!

Akanksha

Cheeky said...

@ Akanksha

Agree with what you said. Glad to have you drop by.

CB said...

To each his own :-)

Cheeky said...

@CB

To each his own, indeed!
Glad to have you dropping by